Camberwell Girls Grammar School is an independent Anglican early learning, primary and secondary day school for girls located in Canterbury, an eastern suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Founded in 1920 in the hall of St Mark’s Church in Camberwell, the school welcomes students of all cultures and currently caters for 820 students from Early learning to Year 12.
The school is a member of the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA), the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA), the Alliance of Girls’ Schools Australasia (AGSA), the Association of Independent Schools of Victoria (AISV), and is a founding member of Girls Sport Victoria (GSV).
Camberwell Girls Grammar School was founded in February 1921. Charged by the Archbishop of Melbourne, Henry Lowther Clarke, the parishioners of St Mark’s Church in Camberwell embarked on a significant project. Led by their vicar, Hubert Brooksbank, they established St Mark’s Parish School.
With just $1,000, Brooksbank built a brick hall for the school to operate from. Opening with eight pupils, both boys and girls, the school flourished and by 1925 there were 70 students and by 1926 the school had outgrown its home.
In late 1926, the school council purchased “Torrington”, a nearby home, for $7,500. With frontage to both Torrington and Woodstock streets, the property was in an ideal position. The grounds and the main building had potential to be a school.
Over the 1926 Christmas holidays, the council members and families worked on the “Torrington” property and in February 1927 the school moved to its new home.
In November 1964, Ormiston Girls’ School, the oldest girls’ school on the Australian mainland and the oldest in Victoria, accepted the offer to merge with Camberwell Girls Grammar School. The following year, the two schools came together as one.
In October of 2019, the prestigious Camberwell Girls School was sued by a former student from the class of 2016.
The school’s junior school, Ormiston, was established in 1849 and is the oldest girls’ school on Australian mainland and the oldest in Victoria. The history of Ormiston is one of private enterprise by pioneer women, mostly young women, who spent years of their lives in service of the infant state educating girls of the time. They enjoyed no financial assistance from church or public funds.
At 166 years of age, Ormiston has only had a few sites. For 52 years it operated out of buildings in East Melbourne before moving to Mont Albert in 1901. In 1964, Ormiston accepted the offer to merge with Camberwell Girls Grammar School. The following year, the two schools officially become one with the junior students working from the St John’s Avenue Campus (Ormiston) and the senior students at the Torrington Street campus. In 2007, the two schools were formally united as one with the opening of the junior school on Mont Albert Road.