Established on 26 April 1909, by the Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne, Henry Lowther Clarke, the school currently caters for approximately 1,200 students. The Early Learning Centre and primary school are co-educational, whilst the secondary school (years 7–12) is for girls only.
Firbank is a member of the Australian Anglican Schools Network, the British Schools and Universities Foundation and Girls Sport Victoria (GSV). Firbank has close ties with its brother school, Brighton Grammar School, a boys’ school. Students of the two schools participate in a number of co-educational activities together such as music and drama.
Firbank consists of three educational sections on two campuses: ‘Sandringham House’, a co-educational primary school in Sandringham offering a quality education; ‘Turner House’, a primary school for girls; and the Senior School catering for girls only in Years 7 to 12. The houses are Sheppard Tyson, Aylwin Cameron, Tonkin Clarke and Hancock Crowther.