Victoria University (VU or Vic Uni) is a public research university based in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It is one of only six dual-sector universities in Australia, providing courses in both higher education and Technical and Further Education (TAFE). 2016 marked VU’s centenary as an educational institution and its 25th anniversary as a university.
The university has several campuses in Melbourne Central Business District, Melbourne Western Region, and in Sydney, comprising six academic colleges, six research institutes, seven research centres and VU’s Victoria Polytechnic (providing vocational education and training). It also offers courses at partner institutions throughout Asia.
Victoria University Melbourne is a globally recognised institution, ranking in the top 2% of universities worldwide (2021Times Higher Education World University Rankings), and 56th globally (2nd in Victoria) in the 2020 Times Higher Education (THE) Young University Rankings. VU was also ranked 11th in the world (1st in Australia) for Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2021).
Victoria University ranked in 351–400 in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
|Victoria University, Australia|
|US News World||543=|
|US News National||25|
28 VU research disciplines were ranked at or above world standard in the Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) assessments 2018. Victoria University emphasises research that is relevant to the community, industry and government – both nationally and internationally, but particularly in the western region of Melbourne. VU Research conducts research across seven Areas of Research Focus:
- Institutes, centres & research
- Building resilient & inclusive communities
- Effective teaching & learning practices for diverse populations
- Enabling healthy & active populations
- Enhancing high performance in sport
- Enhancing the evidence base for public policy development
- Supporting industry responses to change
Victoria University has six research institutes and seven research centres.
- Victoria Institute
- Institute for Sustainability and Innovation (ISI)
- Institute for Supply Chain and Logistics (ISCL)
- Institute of Sport, Exercise and Active Living (ISEAL)
- Victoria Institute of Strategic Economic Studies (VISES)
- Mitchell Institute
- Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Management
- Centre for Applied Informatics (CAI)
- Centre for Cultural Diversity and Wellbeing
- Centre for Environmental Safety and Risk Engineering (CESARE)
- Centre for International Research on Education Systems (CIRES)
- Centre of Policy Studies (CoPS)